We calculate interest on capital cash balances in certain currencies that are held in your account(s) with us. The interest rate applied will depend on the currency of the cash and the bank where it is held and it may be zero or negative (please see further below). The current interest rates are:
- The rates on this page were last updated on 31st December 2021.
- We do not pay interest on cash balances in currencies not listed in the above table.
- Interest is due and payable annually during March for UK-managed portfolios with cash held in our UK designated client money pool and during December for all other portfolios (including those managed by Quilter Cheviot Europe Limited or our Jersey branch) to coincide with the end of the relevant tax year. In this context, reference to our “UK designated” client money pool does not necessarily mean that the bank with which such cash is held is located in the UK and cash held for clients of Quilter Cheviot Europe Limited at Irish banks is deemed to be held in the UK for the purposes of interest calculations.
- Interest is paid gross without any tax deducted.
- Payment of any interest is subject to the amount earned exceeding £10/€10/$10 (as applicable).
- Any changes to the rates we use to calculate interest will be published on this page.
Negative interest rates on credit balances:
Banks may apply an interest charge for cash balances held in certain currencies. If we are subject to such a charge, we may pass the cost of holding that cash onto you as a negative interest rate by deducting the relevant amount of that currency from your portfolio on the first working day of each month. The currencies which are currently subject to negative interest rates are:
Interest on overdrawn balances:
In accordance with our terms and conditions, we calculate debit interest on any outstanding balances owed to us at a rate of 2% above the Bank of England base rate and may pass this onto you as a charge by deducting the corresponding amount from your portfolio.
Quilter Cheviot’s Diversification Policy:
We hold your money across a number of banks, in line with our diversification policy. The banks we select are authorised and regulated by their local regulatory authority; for banks in the UK this is the Financial Conduct Authority, for banks in Ireland the Central Bank of Ireland and for banks in Jersey (for our offshore clients) the Jersey Financial Services Commission. All the selected banks are also subject to internal approval by our Client Money & Counterparty Forum (CMCF). The CMCF has responsibility for overseeing the banks used to hold your money and the overriding premise of any decision is the security of your money. In the unlikely event that any of these banks cannot pay what they owe and you live in the UK, you may be entitled to claim compensation from the UK’s Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). For more information please see www.fscs.org.uk/.